About the job
Founded in 2013, Zapnito is a rapidly-growing, UK-based SaaS community platform built to showcase expertise and connect trusted brands to their people. We help organisations at the intersection of intelligence and community to harness collective intelligence and build lasting connections.
Innovative media companies, professional services firms, events businesses and other knowledge providers use the Zapnito platform to promote thought leadership, increase revenue, and build engagement and trust with their audiences. Customers include world-leading scientific publisher, Springer Nature, international associations like the OECD and B2B business leaders like Informa and RepTrak.
2023 will mark a rapid growth phase for Zapnito, offering an opportunity for you to work to your full potential and develop strategic and leadership skills as the company grows.
Zapnito is looking for a Financial Controller, with the potential to grow into our Financial Director role as we scale. The Financial Controller is a key member of the Zapnito leadership team and the role is critical for the management of cash, profit & loss and balance sheet.
The role will be functional, tactical and strategic to helping Zapnito conserve cash, move to profitability and reduce spend while creating processes for scale, looking at pricing and contracts and managing our full Finance operations end to end. The Role will work closely with the CEO, and report into the COO. The FC will, in due course, create their own team.
The Financial Controller role will have the chance to impact the business at 360 degrees and will have full autonomy of the finance vertical. We have the confidence of our top-tier VCs and Investors like Octopus (who were earlier backers in companies like Secret Escapes, Depop, Graze, Cazoo, GymBox, Streetbees, Plum Guide and many more).
All of these reasons are why we're seeing top-tier senior professionals joining our team from globally recognised companies and we’re continuing to add incredibly talented members across the whole business from the most successful scale-ups.
Financial Controller Responsibilities
- Transactional processing. Purchase ledger invoices and payments, raising Sales invoices and processing receipts
- Invoice chasing and supplier queries
- Oversee all company accounts
- Create monthly and annual reports to identify results, trends, and financial forecasts
- Manage cash flow and be able to forecast up to two years out
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported
- Create reports to comply with Venture Capital requirements
- Collaborate with auditing services to ensure proper compliance with all regulations
- Drive the forecasting and budgeting processes within the company
- Review our financial reports, processes and performance to help identify potential cost saving opportunities
- Report to the COO and CEO with timely and accurate financial information
- Assist the COO and CEO with presenting reports to senior executives, stakeholders, and board members
- Create Monthly, Quarterly and Financial reports, budgets, financial forecasts and targets for Founders, Investors and partners
- Support the direction of the business regarding pricing, price increases, cost management per client and commission and remuneration structures
- Ensure that all contractors are compliant with robust timesheet reporting with approvals from line managers
- Support on special projects as they come up including but not limited to:
- Investigate and advise on the use of overseas workers and benefits of incorporating companies overseas to capture trade and expenses.
- Implementing new financial tools or services
- Tracking services and billing
- Implementing new product reporting and price increases
- Oversee the potential consolidation project of accounting and payroll to a new outsourced provider
- Create, supervise and manage financial department staff
- Motivate and lead finance team members by clarifying roles and providing helpful
- Keep on top of latest developments in accounting and payroll systems and advise on
- change as and when necessary
- Suggest updates and improvements for other systems which have an accounting
- Impact, including CRM and any future systems
- Implement automation solutions for credit control, invoicing, payroll, reporting and alerting
- Recognised UK Accountancy Qualification
- Small, scaling company experience
- Cash management
- Team management
- Tech & SaaS experience a huge bonus Preferred experience and skills
- Xero/Payfit etc
- Five years experience in a SaaS business or equivalent
- VC/Startup experience
- Team creation
A successful person at Zapnito
- Enjoys working in a (fast-paced) open working environment with lots of transparency and employee freedom
- Is creative, open-minded and organised
- Will pursue growth & learning
- Has a positive team spirit
- Is passionate and determined
- Has a high degree of integrity
What we offer
- Competitive base salary
- Share options
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Plus Christmas to New Year close down
- 5 days paid family & charity time
- Flexible / home working
- Pension scheme
- Leading maternity & paternity leave
- An unparalleled opportunity to become an expert in start-up scaling: not only will you be a leader in a VC backed business, you’ll also be coached by some of the best
- Genuine influence and control: you will work with the founders & leadership team to shape our strategy & direction
- Be part of a passionate, friendly & transparent culture: you will be part of discussions around tech, fundraising, product, brand and global expansion
Zapnito is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.